Short answer: Tarte
Long answer: Tarte can boast that their products are free of the ingredients listed below, which are either (1) known to be harmful to you, the environment, or both, or (2) still being researched. Additionally, they are animal-cruelty-free, dermatologist-tested, and hypoallergenic.
- Parabens (Preservatives)
- Mineral oil (Acts as plastic-wrap-like barrier on the skin, which prevents it from “breathing.”)
- Phthalates (Chemicals that help the product stick to your skin)
- Triclosan (Antibacterial chemical)
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (Surfactant, which is a chemical that helps the product mix well with other liquids.)
- Gluten (Yea, apparently it serves as a binder in makeup. You don’t need to worry about this if you are not gluten intolerant.)
At Sephora, the other less-toxic brands are Milk and Bite. Outside of Sephora, you can find the most natural and organic beauty and self-care products at stores like Credo Beauty in NYC. Unfortunately, products at stores like Credo will most likely put a dent in your wallet. However, remember that we, as consumers, have the power to influence the market. If we demand less-toxic products, companies will be inclined to produce more of them at better prices to compete. Use your power!
- App – Think Dirty
- Article – LIVESTRONG “Why Is Mineral Oil Bad for Your Skin?” by Maggie New (2017)
- Article – Health “Is Gluten-Free Makeup Really Necessary?” by Celia Shatzman (2016)
- Brand – Tarte